Video: How Social Security Can Help You Plan for Retirement (2013). Produced by the Social Security Administration, this 28 minute video is worthwhile viewing. While I may not agree wholeheartedly with every point made in the video – as an example, the first chapter opines that Social Security is the foundation of a retirement plan – it gives a nice overview of how Social Security benefits can play a role in your retirement planning.
The video is broken down into the following chapters:
1. Social Security as the Foundation
2. The Basics (i.e. earning credits and benefits for family members)
3. Looking Ahead – Planning for Retirement
4. Making a Decision on When to Retire
5. Learning About How to Save and Invest for Retirement
6. Other Things to Consider
7. How to Apply for Retirement and Medicare Benefits
8. Special Situations
Video: Is Roth TSP Right for Me? (2012). Produced by The Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, this short video (4 minutes) gives a nice overview of the Roth TSP. Though the video addresses the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) – think 401(k)s for Federal Government employees – specifically, the factors concerning investing in the traditional TSP, a Roth IRA or the Roth TSP are the same for individuals considering investing in comparable Roth 401(k) plans, if offered by an employer.